Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Painted Wood Pumpkins

Typically, I don’t really do anything after work... I am definitely a homebody. And I love spending time with my husband opposed to anyone else. He really and truly is my best friend. Nothing wrong with that... it's how I enjoy spending my time. But last week, my friend/co-worker and I stumbled upon a place with a Facebook page called the Speckled Sparrow. She emailed the company to get the details and then set us up a party for last night. We only needed 5 people which worked out nicely.
I had such a fun time!!!
 
Basically the lady said we could pick out anything we wanted to create. It wasn’t until we met her in the class and got to know her that we found out we could have literally chose anything, and prior to us coming to class, she would have learned to make it and then shown us how to do it. How awesome is that? I want to make a wreath next time. Maybe once I actually learn the technique the ones I make at home will look even better.
*Top picture - mine is the second one to the left.
*Bottom left - raw supplies
*Bottom middle - painted one on the back one, middle one was taped and had a second coat, right one was just taped. All three steps shown.
*Bottom right - my finished pumpkins

We chose to paint pumpkins - here are the supplies she had available for us:
3 wood posts with rounded centers at the top to add the stems
Pieces of wood
Regular paint (orange and white)
Assorted brushes
Assorted ribbons
Assorted tapes
Glue guns
Hair dryers
 
She also supplied snacks and drinks (soda/water, chips/cookies).
Her location is a bit out there and it is in a house trailer, but overall, very nice use of space. When you walk into the place you are in what would have been the living room but has been set up as the main art space. She has a full kitchen including a fridge and stove to the left which is where food and drinks were located. The bedroom beyond that houses TONS of art supplies and past projects. To the right was the main bathroom and another storage room and a room to put on funny hats/boas/glasses  for picture taking.
I LOVED how she had her artwork all over the place! If I was artistic, I would have a  studio similar to hers.
Back to the pumpkins...
This was an extremely easy art project thanks to the teacher/class since everything was already prepped for us to get to work and be creative.
Basically we painted our wood pieces solid orange or solid white. Allowed them to dry. Using the different tapes (straight, curvy or chevron), we taped our design on our wood posts and then painted on the opposite color. Or using the different dot sizes we painted on dots. Allowed them to dry again. We then peeled the tape off the taped ones. She then either allowed us to sand them down by hand or she used her electric hand sander outside. I had her sand all mine down for me. While paint was drying, we were able to select the wood we liked for our stumps. We then hot glued them into the pre-drilled holes. Next up was the hard choice of select ribbon to tie to our stems. She has several different shades or greens with different textures. Everyone but me chose to add their initial to their pumpkins... I was too nervous about messing mine up therefore I decided to skip this step.
 
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how these turned out!!!!
The sanded look makes them stunning!
I think these would easily sell for the price we paid to make them. At $30 for all supplies, drinks/snacks and fun with friends... what a bargain! We are going to try and get our group together every month or every other month to make something different and get out of the house without kids. LOL! I'm finally getting included in the 'out without kids' group. What a nice feeling.
Not that I am already trying to get away from my baby boy... it is just nice to be included in the group. The owner of the place even said I could bring him. I won't though. He can stay home with daddy. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment