Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Just Call Me Betty Crocker

 I actually looked up some recipes and cooked a few things this weekend. I admit, usually, I am pretty lazy in the kitchen and when I do cook, I tend to make the same few easy dishes I can make within 30 minutes. I figured I needed to step up my game in order to meet my 'Make 30 new recipes' from my '30 Before 30' list. Plus, I figure it never hurts to try and impress your husband with your culinary skills.
Friday evening I made Pioneer Woman's Pot Roast. It was good! I did add in some potatoes near the end which she says she does not do, but I felt they were better than the mashed potatoes she suggested. Even Wyatt enjoyed this dish - at least the juices and meat. He refuses to eat carrots and barely ate any potatoes.
Sunday evening I made Baked Chicken Taquitos which was YUMMY! Not even putting the fixings into the eggrolls was good all by itself. Matt mentioned how this would be tasty on a salad and I agree. We will definitely be enjoying this dish again in the near future.

Monday, I made CopyCat Chick-fil-a chicken nuggets. Although these didn’t remind me of the actual restaurant's nuggets, they were alright. They were a bit plain - I won't be making them again - I like the seasoning I make on my own better.
For dessert, I made Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese frosting. DELICIOUS! However, next time I make it, I need to add more red food coloring. I should have known it wouldn’t be red since when I was looking at the mixture while pouring it into my baking dishes, it looked very pinkish. Not sure why I thought it would get darker. The cocoa powder made it appear more brown. And the frosting... I am not a good cake froster. This is why you see so many cake crumbs. I will work on this. Maybe I press too hard? I don't know. Either way, I LOVED it! This recipe came from my friend Linda. Did you think I could lie to her and tell her the crumb look was what I was trying to achieve?
And FYI on the cake... it's in the shape of a long even tough I made 2 square cakes because one was still gooey in the middle. I had to cut that part out.
 
P.S. Thank you for ignoring my picture skills - I was more concerned with eating then snapping pictures.
 
Because Matt said I was corrupting his weight loss journey with fried chicken and cake, I ate 2 pieces (he had 1) and froze the rest in 2 person servings. I'm thinking this will be a nice treat next weekend one night. It's gonna take all my will power not to take some out of the freezer later tonight. I made sure I told Matt how many containers I froze - keeps me accountable from sneaking a container out.
 
Cooking wasn’t all I did over our rainy weekend.
We watched 2 movies - Blended (FUNNY!) and Million Dollar Arm (Heartwarming). I also watched a movie on Netflix - Revenge of the Bridesmaids which was girly cute. When I went to watch another movie, Netflix had somehow signed me out and I didn’t know the password to get back in. (Come to find out, I was typing the wrong email address - I had the correct password... oops!) I suppose it was a good thing since it forced me to get some other stuff done on my Monday off from work. Too bad Matt wasn't off; could have had more fun.
 
While home alone, I decided to take Wyatt on a short walk around the block. Ya, he didn’t even make it 1/3 way around the block before I had to carry him. He then walked the last few houses to our house. In his defense, he is a 17 year old dog with a heart murmur.
He was conked out for the rest of the afternoon. He didn’t even follow me room to room like he usually does. Poor guy.
And remember my ghetto neighbor and there ghetto fence? Well, guess what I saw on the other side of their house as I walked by? They used some rusty poles and rusty chain link fence which doesn’t reach the top of those poles and have fenced in that side of the house. OMG! Thank GOD I complained and didn’t allow them to hook there fence to mine! It looks awful! They could have at least tried to do it nicely. Regardless, I don’t see the point of either fencing since they don’t have the back of the yard fenced in. Very pointless in my opinion!
 
Backtracking - Saturday, as usual, consisted of Church, dinner out and shopping. Nothing worth mentioning really.
Sunday, we cleaned out our garage. We had planned on working on the house, but neither one of us could really get motivated to even begin. The garage was an easy space to tackle since it just needed to be straightened up. All that is left to do in there is for Matt to use up all the gas in the lawn mower and weed eater before Winter comes. Sadly, we still need to finish the few items in our house before it gets too cold. Our goal is to have the house ready to sell in the event of one of us gets a job in TN. I look everyday for jobs for me to apply. Matt on the other hand, I'm not sure why he seems to be dragging his feet lately. He was very gun ho at one point. He had one interview, got the job, but due to very low pay, declined the offer and he seems to thinks he is done. Or maybe he is feeling discouraged. I'm not sure. Either way, he needs to get back out there.
Here's to a four day work week! (One day already down!)


1 comment:

  1. Your meals look delish! Send me the Taquitos recipe. I am very curious. Always love to hear an update on Wyatt. He always needs the wagon now. :)

    ReplyDelete