Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

After A Month

I have now been at my new job for a little over a month.
Hard to believe it has already been that long.
It's not horrible, but it isn’t great. I kinda miss my old job. I mostly miss my cube with its walls and my friends (co-workers). And if it wasn't for the additional money, I would have liked to stay there. There was just no advancement available in that office. I had been there almost 4 years and I fear if I had stayed, I would still be there 4 years from now. No one ever seems to leave! Nope, I'm at the very beginning of my career and I don’t want to end there. I have big plans for my future. Unless of course owning my own business pans out.
On the plus side, next year two people claim they plan on retiring so maybe I can move back there. They are at the same pay grade as I am now. No promotion going there, but at least it would be familiar and more stuff to add to my resume since they do other tasks then what I did while in that office.
 
I got off course; oops! Let me get back on....
 
The good of my new job is the extra pay, duh! I also enjoy learning new things - makes me more marketable for future jobs. At least it will if I decide to stay in this career field. I'm still undecided on that as well. (But that's a whole other story!) I like what I do and I like helping the customers we serve.
I enjoy some of my new co-workers... I just wish I sat closer to them and they were more vocal.
Ease of using time off, taking breaks when you want and it being okay if you are a few minutes late in the morning are the same here as my last job. I would hate not having flexibility in those three aspects of my job. They are very important.
 
The bad of my new job is I work in a cubicle world with no cubes. Its 8 work stations in one big area (4 on each side with a walkway between them). Unless you are in the back of the area, everyone can see your computer monitors. I'm the second to the front. I did only have one person behind me on the other side. It wasn't bad at all. As of Friday, I have someone directly behind me. And not just anyone, he is someone of some authority. Not one of my bosses, but someone who is extremely close to them both since he used to sit by both of them. Meaning, I don’t know if he will 'tell on me' if I am doing something off task. Not that I do anything bad, but I enjoy emailing people back and forth and I enjoy surfing the web several times a day for short amounts of time - news stories, the library, Carnival Cruise lines, cruise forums... you know, the usual. It's not like I'm reading blogs at work! Although, how awesome would that be if I could?  
I also don’t like how quiet it is here. You can seriously hear everything said in this office. Currently, there are 3 people in charge (soon to be 4) and 8 worker bees. Yep, lots of Chiefs and not a whole lot of Indians. Maybe this is why everything/everyone seems serious here.
I used to have a very colorful workstation/cube with my wrapping paper wallpaper on my walls and I had a few toys on my desk. I took most of the stuff home and the wrapping paper has nowhere but a small strip to go. I didn’t bother putting it on the strip though. For now, it's just rolled up and put away. Maybe one day I'll bring it back out.
 
Again, it isn't horrible, I just miss my old work environment. And THANKFULLY it isn't like my job I had over 4 years ago when I first moved here. That place was truly a HELL HOLE! And from what I hear, it still is one.
No matter how you look at it, I am very thankful to have a job with great benefits! I'm glad I haven't changed employers. YET! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment