Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Shakespeare and the Parthenon

This past weekend, Matt and I went to Tennessee to visit our family. Always nice to see everyone. I just hate the car ride. Blah! Not so bad going there (maybe because I am looking forward to seeing everyone???), but on the way home, that dang car ride seems very long!
The main reason we decided to visit over this particular weekend was to go see Shakespeare in the Park at Centennial Park in Nashville with my parents. Each year, for the past 27 years, they act out a different Shakespearean play during the summer. This year, they put on 'As You Like It'.
It is really good! To be honest, I wasn’t very sure if I would get into it. I'm not normally a fan of Shakespeare.
(It's wasn't my husband's 'thing'.)
The play was set in the mid 1930s. Emily Landham played the character Rosalind according to the handout we received. She was such a good actress and was part of the reason I enjoyed the show as much as I did. I imagine someone will scoop her up for something big one day. She definitely deserves it based on her acting skills. If you ever see her name within the cast for something, check it out.
 
Prior to going to the play, we didn’t really know what to expect since we had never been to this sort of event. We weren't prepared at all. We knew there would be food trucks which was our plan for dinner. I didn’t even think to bring drinks and snacks. Thankfully, my mom shared her goodies with us. If we do something like this again, I would bring a picnic of sandwiches, snacks and drinks.
I am glad my mom reminded me to pack our chairs though. I would have hated watching from the ground on a blanket.
With the 15 minute intermission, the play lasted 2 hours and 45 minutes. WOW! A very long play! And guess what? Time flew! It didn’t seem like we had been there that long. When Matt and I got back to the car, I was shocked at how late it had gotten without me knowing.
 
(No picture taking was allowed which is why I only have the one picture from the show.)
 
Because we arrived at the park early, we decided to check out the Parthenon which is a full-scale replica of the original building in Athens. Evidently this replica was built in 1897.


It was beautiful!
 
I wish we could have viewed the inside of the building, but we weren’t there by 4:30 PM when they closed. And even if we had been, a wedding was going on inside so we probably couldn’t have visited it.
Dang it!
Maybe next time!
I'll be sure to add it to my bucket list of things I want to do in the near future.

Either way, I have some impressive pictures don’t you think?

1 comment:

  1. That was a fun night! Totally did not expect to hear Shakespeare with a county accent...fun stuff! So glad you came!

    ReplyDelete