Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

GYM - Step1

I am not calling it a New Year's Resolution.
No.
I am going to call it Step 1 to baby making.
Yes, I like that 'name'.
It's perfect!
It describes my #1 goal after getting healthy.
 
Two weeks ago, I forget which day, Matt and I joined the gym. I was going to join Weight Watchers and just use my treadmill at the house, but that is $50/month and the gym is $60/month. We cannot afford both, so we had a decision to make, and we decided we were going to start eating better at home while exercising. I think this is the best route for us to both lose weight and get in shape. Plus, our treadmill stated giving off a strong odor - we think maybe the motor is dying. Not sure. Nor am I willing to wait and find out.
 
Our gym allows you to have a few free visits with a trainer who will show you how to use all the machines and will tell you what works best for you. Although Matt had no desire to take advantage of this offer, I did. Last Tuesday, I did my first free session. Before showing me how to use the machines, we had a talk about my goals and why I joined the gym. I responded honestly about wanting to lose weight and in return, he showed me how to use three different elliptical like machines which should help me lose weight if I use them regularly. He suggested I do 2 or the 3 machines for at least 15 minutes and then work my way up from there. I am proud to report yesterday I did 25 on one and then 15 on the other.
Today, I had my second session with him. I learned a few machines to work my arms. I have absolutely no upper body strength and I am now curious how much pain I will be in tomorrow when I wake. We spent an hour together doing 10 reps on each machine. He wants me to work over the next 3 weeks and do 3 sets of 10 reps on each machine. I decided to stay at the gym after my session and I did 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by 3 sets of 10 reps on most the machines I learned.
 
Slowly but surely I will be slimming down.
 
To help motivate myself, I have been adding an orange tab onto my Outlook calendar each time I go to the gym. I enjoy seeing the brightly colored tabs labeled with the amount of time I spent at the gym each day. Per my calendar (Sun-Sat), we actually went to the gym three times last week! And today is only Tuesday and I have already been to the gym twice this week. I am on the right track this week! Might even go four times since Matt was not able to go to the gym with me today.
We are aiming for 3 times a week for 45 minutes. We will be upping ourselves to one hour and hopefully 4 times a week.  
 
As of yesterday, I started adding my food to My Fitness Pal. My user name is jjsg11 if you want to help me stay accountable for what goes in my mouth. I currently have two friends. :)
I need all the help I can get! If this method doesn’t help me, I have an old Weight Watchers journal from when I used to be a member (years ago). I might do better physically writing everything down.

And because I must post a picture - how cute are these guys???


2 comments: