Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

St. Lucia's Best Tour

Day 7
St. Lucia
(Pitons)
   
I think the excursions you book can either make or break the island.
Here, I booked an island tour prior to our vacation with a company called Cosol.
The BEST decision!
Seriously the BEST!
Look them up on trip advisor and read all the reviews if you plan on going to this island.
We both had an amazing time!
The cost is $65/pp. Not sure how they make a profit with everything they offer. Seriously!
Per email instructions, we met our group off the ship at the pre-arranged place and time. As we came off the ship, they were breaking us into small groups. Our 15 passenger van (nice) had 11 people and we had Adrienne as our tour guide. He was wonderful! Very knowledgeable and passionate about his island.
  
Throughout the entire day, we stopped at several picture worthy spots. First stop was a nice view of the ship and the nearby town. At each stop, there were people trying to sell you all sorts of stuff. Our tour guide warned us about them and we really didn’t have any problems with them being too pushy.
 Such a poor community in many places we toured.
This is one picture I thought showed the beauty.
 Marigo Bay
Governer General's House
    
(I don't actually remember the order we saw everything.)
  
Our first actual stop was to a banana plantation.
It was AWESOME!
I have never seen a banana plantation so of course I had to take several pictures. The blue bags are placed around the bananas at a certain time by the farmers in order to protect them from bugs and other critters. A flower blooms first and then the fruit comes. Each plant will only make one bunch of bananas. When the plant is done, it is chopped down and a new plant grows. St. Lucia's number one importer of bananas is England. Meaning, you probably won't be trying these ones at your local grocery store.
While here, we got to eat a freshly picked one. (I think it was picked a few days prior.)
We both thought it tasted the same as the ones we are used to, but a couple on our tour thought they tasted sweeter.
  

Part of our tour consisted of sampling different foods from around the island. All of the groups met at a club house sort of place and we got to have all the food and drinks we wanted. I had water and a bunch of different fruits I have never seen here in the United States (plate #1). Matt had their local beer and a bunch of the fruits as well (plate #2). We were both a little hesitant to try any of the cooked food. You gotta be careful (in my opinion) when trying food in different areas of the world. Don't want to be sick while on vacation because you ate something not fully cooked or your stomach isn’t used to it.
   
We got to see cashew plants here as well.
Did you know each seed(?) only has one cashew in it? Could be why they are a bit costly.
  
Our tour guide stopped and got us these yummy cookies.
I can't remember what kind they are though. They were warm and fresh and tasty. While on our tour in St. Kitts (more on that later), we met a couple who had done this same tour with a different tour guide and they didn’t get a cookie so we think this was something just our tour guide did for us. Very sweet of him! And to think, we would have never known this was something extra had we not of talked to other people.
 
We got to see Toraille waterfall inte town of Soufriere.
Wasn't nearly as pretty as the ones we saw in the rain forest in Puerto Rico, but I still enjoyed looking at it. It was POURING so I didn’t actually go up to it - just took a few pictures from under a covering. I wouldn't have minded getting in it like others were doing though.
Next time I will for sure.
  
The famous Piton peaks were something I was really looking forward to seeing at/on the way to Jalousie Beach.
Not only did we get to see them from afar, we also got to take a boat right up to them and then go swimming/snorkeling between them. Talk about AMAZING!!!
Absolutely beautiful!
Stunning!
Words cannot express how I felt while there.
We snorkeled (to the right) the whole hour we had here. Crystal clear water. I was wrong when I posted Barbados had the clearest water I had seen... St. Lucia was even clearer. Just a little. We were both worried at first about locking up our belongings, but we got over it and enjoyed our time. They have a reef very close to the beach where we got to see all sorts of fish and plants. Even saw an eel!
I wish we could have stayed here longer.
Like, all day!
Evidently it is expensive to take a cab here since you are about an hour from the ship. I would be tempted to pay the money next time.
I had my underwater camera while here, but you could even see fish from out of the water:

Next stop, the Caribbean's only drive through active volcano - Sulphur Springs.
What a site to see!
I have never seen a volcano! Ever! Very unique. It was even bubbling.
The lady who gave us the short tour told us the bubbling mud was hot enough to burn your skin and possibly kill you. Not something you want to be playing in. The last time it was active was in the 1620s. The smell was like rotten eggs. She said if you don't smell the sulfer, that means it is about to erupt. Hopefully they always have that sulfur smell. I cannot imagine all the damage it would cause if it did erupt.
   
The active volcano was the last stop of the day. On the hour long way back to the ship, we stopped somewhere to get our 'famous to this tour' fresh bread and cheese.
YUMMY!
I want some right now just thinking about it.
The owner of the company, who we had seen in the beginning and when we were trying all the local foods, stuck his head in the van and asked if we enjoyed our tour. Of course we all said yes. He then asked if we enjoyed our tour guide. Again, we all said yes.
I appreciate the owner stopping by and touching base with us. Made me feel like he cared if we had a nice time.
After almost 7 hours on a wonderful tour, Matt and I changed and ate a late lunch.
We were pooped!
This evening was Halloween and we both enjoyed sitting, watching all the different costumes. Some people went all out and had me wondering how they fit the clothing into their luggage. Matt and I had brought TMNT shirts for costumes - never wore them. I wanted to stay up for the 11PM Halloween costume contest, but I fell asleep.   :)
Neat picture, huh?

1 comment:

  1. This tour sounds amazing! You have 'sold' it very well. We are considering a trip here although I am still not sure about the cruise. It seems like this the perfect tropical spot to simply visit for a week! Glad you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete