Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Bourbon Chase 2013

Alright people - I completed #30 on my 30 Before 30 List- Volunteer!!!


Friday I volunteered to work check-in at the Bourbon Chase. This is a run along the Bourbon trail from Clermont, KY to Lexington, KY by teams of 12 members and costs $1,500 per team. Evidently they have so many teams signup that not all get to run. Crazy right? The money collected goes to three organizations (I looked it up) - The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, National Hospice Foundation, and Lexarts.

Three of my co-workers and I decided to do this together. One of them has done it for several years and the other two have done it for two years. I won't lie, I felt a little bullied into volunteering, but I am glad I did in the end. I actually enjoyed myself! GASP!
Like they say, some people really will do anything for a free t-shirt. Me included! LOL!
I volunteered for first shift which was 7-11:30AM.
 
The Bourbon Chase began at the Jim Beam Distillery.
My job at the check-in station was to check-in teams. DUH!!!
When a team came up to us, I asked who was the team captain. They had to tell us there team name and number. We called out the name and number and then were given their bag of shirts, goodies and paperwork.
Within the paperwork, the team captain verified the team rooster - signed off on it being correct or made and paid for corrections, showed us the team's safety equipment, and we explained how the tracking chip must be on the last runner and the bracelet must be passed to each runner. IDs were then checked to verify each runner was 21 or over and we then placed a tasting band on each runner. Driver did not get a tasting band.
This was a bit daunting in the beginning to me. After a few teams it became easy.
 
Once they checked-in with us, we sent them down to the starting line:
While checking in teams, we saw several funny and/or cute getups.
We saw several tie-dyed team shirts, a group of business men, pink cowboy hats, tutus, crazy wigs....
My favorite were the butts:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
And because I need to show you the front of the shirt:

I forgot to have a picture of me taken there so you get this one. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment