Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Super Duper Easy Homemade Noodles

Can you believe I actually made homemade noodles for my chicken noodle soup?
I can't! I'm not really a make from scratch kind of girl. I thrive to be that girl, it's just not me. Not usually at least.
However, Thursday night I was able to claim that was me. I was a make from scratch girl!
Preface:
A few weeks ago, while at work, I was talking to Matt on the phone. I asked him what he wanted for dinner and he mentioned he wanted chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles. Evidently out loud I repeated what he said and responded that was hard and I didn’t know how to make them. Of course my co-worker/friend L overheard me and loudly stated they are so easy to make. And she had a recipe. Matt overheard her and now I was wrapped into doing it in the future.
I figured Thursday evening was a good day.
I used my homemade chicken broth, cut up pieces of onion, celery, carrots, rotisserie chicken from a Sam's Club and seasonings. I placed all of these ingredients in a pot on the stove to cook while I made my noodles.
 
Ingredients for Noodles:
3 cups all purpose flour
4 eggs plus 1 extra yolk
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons of water
Salt
 
How it's done:
On a clean workspace, place the flour and make a well (hole) 8 inches or larger.
In your well, add the eggs and extra yolk, olive oil, salt and water.
Beat these ingredients together with a fork then slowly add the flour taking care not to break the sides of the well. Do not worry about lumps.
Once your mixture is thick enough, use your hands to further combine all the flour. If your mixture is too dry, add a little water to your hands.
Now that everything is combined, begin to knead your bread. After kneading your bread, cover with plastic for at least 20 minutes.
After at least 20 minutes, roll your dough out and cut it into desired lengths/thickness.
Add your noodles into your soup 5 minutes before serving. They cook fast!
I only ended up using half my noodles. The other half I cut up and placed on a plastic wrapped cookie sheet and stuck it in my refrigerator. When we decide to eat the leftover soup (today for lunch), I will cook the soup and then add the noodles in during the last 5 minutes just like last time. These noodles would be WAY to soggy to re-heat after cooking.

Overall, I thought these noodles had a nice texture and size. I thought they were a little tasteless though. I will take my mom's advice and add a little more salt next time.
 
This recipe is a keeper in my opinion!

2 comments: