Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

DIY Candy Bouquet

Happy Birthday L!

Today is my coworker's/friend's birthday and I wanted to give her something unique....

MONTHS ago, while shopping at Kroger, I had seen very simple looking candy bouquets and I thought to myself, 'Jessica, you can make those!'.
I went onto Pinterest, searched 'candy bouquet', and looked through a bunch of ideas. Let me tell you, some people are very skilled at making beautiful bouquets! People even had pictures of actual candy wedding bouquets!

I selected a few pictures I liked for future reference and then I gathered supplies I thought I would need.
I took pictures of my supplies before I did anything so a few of the items I ended up not using.


I used:
2 Ice Cream Dishes
Small Candy Bars
Vellum
Scissors
Glue Gun
Wood Skewers/Sticks
Foam Wreath
Pipe Cleaners
 
How I made it:
In the bottoms of both ice cream dishes I balled up a piece of vellum to make the dishes look full.
I took 4 pieces of vellum and overlapped them in different directions then placed a piece of the foam wreath in the middle to push down into the middle of the ice cream dishes.
The foam wreath piece fit perfectly inside these dishes!
I glued the sticks onto the back of the candy bars making sure they were all facing the same direction. At first I had cut all the sticks in half, but I quickly realized you needed to have them in all different sizes. Meaning, of course, that I had to carefully remove my hot glued sticks from the candy bars and re-glue them to new sticks. What a pain in the you know what!
Once they were all glued, I continued adding them to the ice cream dishes by pushing the sticks into the piece of foam.
The finishing touch was to add colorful pipe cleaners into the bouquets.
What do you think?
Part of me wishes I had added more candy, but another part of me likes the simplistic look of the bouquets. I should have added a bow to the bottom of the dishes for additional color and fullness though.
 
Overall, I am very pleased with how they turned out. This was my first attempt at making these and I really didn’t know what to expect.
 
My friend L really seemed to like them which is really all that matters!
I even got several compliments from my co-workers. :) Poor L had to defend her bouquet from people who wanted to eat her candy. I am happy to report the candy bouquets made it safely to her house. I wonder if she will eat them or keep them intact for awhile?
Would be very tempting for me.... if MY favorite candies were on it. Mounds and Almond Joys are not my forte!


No comments:

Post a Comment