Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mildew Veggie Leaves

Do you have a garden???
I'm curious.
I love having one!
Last year was my first year - I was successful with everything I planted except for my tomatoes. They never changed from green to red due to the hot heat - or so I was told.
This year, I planted a little more then last year. I didn't want to do too much. Didn't want to overwhelm myself.

I have already picked a few cucumbers, zucchini and squash. I have ate them all!
I have green tomatoes.
My potato plants are HUGH.
No peppers yet.

Everything has been going great!
Actually, everything was going great...
I was remembering to water them every day and I was making sure to remove dead leaves...
I don't know what happened!
Yesterday when I watered them, they looked healthy.
Today, I see 'white splotches' all over the leaves. :(
I texted the pictures to my friend L and described what I was seeing. She thinks my plants have mildew.
Mildew!?!?!?!?
How can my plants have mildew?!?!?!?!?!
I did everything right! At least, I thought I was doing everything correctly.
I am sad.
I wanted a good amount of veggies this year. I had big plans to can something. I completely understand why farmers are so distraught when they lose a crop. All that money. And time. And effort. All for nothing. Nothing I tell you!

I cut the leaves that were most affected and left the ones that had no 'white splotches' and the ones that weren't badly disturbed.
I don't think this helped. While cutting off bad leaves I noticed the mildew went down some of the stems. If they still look bad tomorrow I will have no choice except to remove the plants completely. I do not want all my other plants to be affected by this incident.
Then I'll have to worry about the soil on top of everything else!

I'm thankful my tomato and potato plants appear to be doing well.
Hey - those rhyme! Ha ha ha!
Fingers crossed they don't develop this darn mildew!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment