Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

30 Before 30

 
While at work the other day I realized I have approximately one and a half years until I hit the big 3-oh!
3! 0!
Thirty!
 
Wow, time flies!
It got me thinking…
Never a good thing.
Is that what you were thinking?
LOL!
 
Turning 30 means I am about to go into another decade of my life…..
 
When I turned 10, I didn’t think anything about it. I was too young to grasp the significance of what was happening.
When I turned 20, I cried. I know that is a very young age, but for some reason I was extremely upset about the age. (I soothed myself with lots of shopping – I was young, living at home with very few bills). I fear that’s how turning 30 will be for me. Hopefully my husband realizes this and he plans something special like a nice weekend getaway for me. HINT HINT HINT!!!!!!!!!!!
 
HINT HINT HINT!!!!!!!!!!  I would really like a weekend getaway! HINT HINT HINT!!!!!!!!!!
 
In preparation for turning 30 I have decided to make a list of 30 things to do before I turn 30.
Maybe I am starting a little early; maybe not. I would rather start it now so I can cross off a few items from my list before I even turn 29. This one act will make me feel a little better about myself once I enter my last year of my twenties.
God willing, I am really going to try and do them all. Some will be very easy and others will be hard to accomplish. A few might even be impossible.
 
And let’s face it, getting older is better than the alternative!
 
30 Before 30 List:
1.       Read the entire Bible
2.       Do something scary/Take a risk
3.       Explore somewhere new
4.       Get pregnant
5.       Make career or job move
6.       Lose 50 pounds
7.       Sail a boat
8.       Zip line
9.       Crochet a blanket
10.   Help a stranger
11.   Pay it forward
12.   De-clutter my home
13.   Pay off student loans
14.   Cook 30 new recipes
15.   Try 5 new foods
16.   Car road trip
17.   Have my eyebrows threaded
18.   Learn to effectively eat with chopsticks
19.   Learn basic sign language
20.   Learn to use my camera’s manual settings
21.   Learn how to can vegetables
22.   Learn how to use my sewing machine
23.   Write a will
24.   Throw a party
25.   Make yearly photo books
26.   Make 10 items I have pinned
27.   Finish miscellaneous house projects
28.   Visit ‘famous’ sites in my own town
29.   Snorkel
30.   Be a volunteer at a local event
_______________________________________________________
Let me break it down for you:

1.       Read the entire Bible
I am starting with ‘The Story’ to help me understand the Bible better. Obviously you need to read the Bible more than once in your life, but everyone has to start somewhere. We have started going back to church and I am lucky to have our church televised on TV which has allowed me to DVR it and watch it at my convenience over the last year.
2.       Do something scary/Take a risk
Not sure what this will be yet. Perhaps it ties in with number 8 on my list???
3.       Explore somewhere new
Easy. Almost done. Matt and I have our next cruise scheduled and we are fortunate to be going to 6 different islands. We are born explores and I am sure we will explore each island at least a tiny bit.
4.       Get pregnant
This is 100% up to GOD and his timing. If it is meant to be, it will happen when GOD says it is time for us. If it isn’t in the cards for us, adoption would be the next option.
5.       Make career or job move
I have been in my position for almost 3 years and unfortunately, there is no career growth here. I would love to stay because I enjoy (for the most part) what I do and who I work with, but I am at the beginning of my career and want better opportunities for myself.
6.       Lose 50 pounds
Believe it or not, I have been working on this for a few weeks and have lost 5 pounds! Whoo hoo! Very proud of myself! I need to continue – this will make me feel better about myself, make me healthier and will up my chances of conceiving. Need to work on this HARD!!!
7.       Sail a boat
We will need to rent a boat to accomplish this goal. I can drive a car so I can’t imagine this being much different.
8.       Zip line
Matt’s wants to do this when he reaches his goal weight. Assuming he does this before my 30th birthday, this will be crossed off. I will be terrified though!
9.       Crochet a blanket
2 or so years ago I took a free crocheting class at my local library. I made a few strips and pot holders and then never picked it up again. I would like to accomplish making a blanket – perhaps for my future baby.
10.   Help a stranger
Already started buying toys for Christmas for when we adopt 2 angles and donate to Toys for Tots. Does this count? If not, I will keep thinking of something.
11.   Pay it forward
Not sure how I will accomplish this goal – I am sure I will think of something.
12.   De-clutter my home
A SLOW work in process! I need to tell myself I will NOT need that item in the future and it is okay to give it away. I am probably a bit of a pack rat. Oops!
13.   Pay off student loans
Should be done very soon! Would have been done a few months ago, but life got in the way.
14.   Cook 30 new recipes
Should be much easier for me to do now.
15.   Try 5 new foods
Matt is always trying new foods – I just need to be better about accepting his offer to try whatever is on his plate.
16.   Car road trip
Not sure this will happen since our car is getting old. I will probably have to change this one later. Or maybe it will happen ON my 30th birthday if my husband read my HINT. You know, in a rental car.
17.   Have my eyebrows threaded
I have been afraid to try this – not sure why. Surely it can’t hurt anymore then waxing. There is a place in my local mall where I can try this out.
18.   Learn to effectively eat with chopsticks
I have people in my life who can teach me this skill. Plus, I already have some from Korea.
19.   Learn basic sign language
I would like to acquire this skill in preparation of when I have a baby. (I can already sign the alphabet thanks to my music teacher in the 6th grade.)
20.   Learn to use my camera’s manual settings
I have owned my current camera for 3 or 4 years and have yet to learn this skill.
21.   Learn how to can vegetables
It would be awesome to can some vegetables which I know have no extra unneeded additives such as salt and/or sugar. I would be happy to even just can one type of vegetable.
22.   Learn how to use my sewing machine
I received my sewing machine several years ago for my birthday and it has sat in its sewing box except for the two times I took it out to look at it.
23.   Write a will
This is important. Everyone should have one.
24.   Throw a party
Not for me – someone else.
25.   Make yearly photo books
I have wanted to do this for awhile now. I just need to sit down and simply do it. Stop procrastinating!
26.   Make 10 items I have pinned
I have over 2000 items pinned – I know I can find at least 10 that are easy enough for me to create myself.
27.   Finish miscellaneous house projects
For example – finish the baseboards, paint the guest bathroom and stain the wood fence.
28.   Visit ‘famous’ sites in my own town
I have been to several places in my town already, but it would be fun to visit even more of them.
29.   Snorkel
I am really hoping Matt and I are able to do this on our cruise while at one of the islands.
30.   Be a volunteer at a local event
I am kind of cheating on this one – I am already signed up to do this in October. (In my defense, I ran out of ideas.)
 
So there you have it folks – my 30 before 30!
If I must change something, I will change it closer to my 30th birthday.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Proud of your #1 goal! You can do it. Grandpa does this every year. :) Check off the items as you get them done and keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete