Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

3 Days Left & I Made Egg Rolls

I close in 3 days!
3!
As in this Friday!
Time is flying now!

I need to stop using so many explanation points!
I can't stop!
They are essential to my post!
Aaaaaahhhh!!!!!!


Okay - it's out of my system.

I have so much to do in such a short amount of time since I decided to procrastinate on certain things.
I did finally go to Lowe's and actually picked out a few paint colors I want for my new home.
I am pretty sure on flooring too. I am going to buy laminate wood floors from Sam's for my kitchen, living room, and hall. I am getting carpet for the 3 bedrooms. I found 2 I like for $2.97 a square foot. Seems kinda so I plan on shopping around for a few more days at other stores.
Both of those tasks (paint and flooring) were my goals today while at the store. I might change my mind on flooring, but I don't think I will.
 

I meant to blog on Sunday evening and then again yesterday... better late then never, right?
Over the weekend I learned to cook.
Well, not really cook, but I did learn what goes into egg rolls and how to roll them.
While I learned that, Matt learned how to smoke meat.
If you have been reading my blog for any length of time you should know Matt and I like our food. :)

Matt's mom chopped up all the ingredients the day before so when I got there on Saturday she dumped bags of cabbage, carrots, onions, clear noodles, ground pork, and ground beef into a giant bowl.
After adding some spices and an egg she mixed everything together.
Check out the mix:

This batch ended up being a bit more meat then she was expecting, but I thought it was good.
We made a second 'special' batch that Matt made - cabbage, onions, mushrooms, and chicken.
Once everything was mixed together we taste tested it to see if it was needing any extra spices.
Here's this mix:

Now that the tastes were correct, it was time to roll.
Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Rolling the egg rolls was kind of fun.
Here are some rolled, uncooked ones:

And here are some fried one:
I can see how the entire process is frustrating since it takes SEVERAL hours to prep, roll, and then fry them all.
I think we ended up making about 140.
They were so YUMMY!


(The dogs got to lick the bowls when we were done. Notice Rusty is IN the bowl!)

I wont go into detail on Matt's smoking of the meat, but here are some pictures of the brine, what we cooked, and while it was being cooked. I forgot to get a picture of the finished food.
 The meat was left in the brine for 24 hours.
3 chickens
2 roast beef chunks
2 fillets of salmon
Smelt SOOOO good!
Made Matt smell SOOOO good!
If someone figures out how to make this smell into a cologne - they will be rich!

I would buy some for Matt!
While they are at it they should make a charcoal smelling cologne as well.
Too bad I can't invent it...
The smoked meat tasted delicious and was so moist!
We should smoke meat monthly.
:)


It stormed SO bad here around 4 PM to 7 PM-ish! The news said about 2 inches an hour. 
I had to show you how my backyard looks...



No comments:

Post a Comment