Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chalkboard In A Can?

(Ignore my sloppy handwriting.)

One of the crafts my mom and I did this past Sunday was to make a chalkboard.
I am loving chalk boards right now!
So functional and creative don't ya think?
Everyone who is anyone in blogland are making these cute things! You might as well jump on the band wagon as well.
We were going to make them MONTHS ago but the paint was kind of pricey and we didn't have a 40% off coupon while at Hobby Lobby (every time we went!). Saturday we did have a coupon and we bought the paint. It retails for $7.99 so make sure you have a coupon. I think it costs even more at Wal-Mart if I am remembering correctly.
The paint says you can use it on virtually anything! How awesome is that? I will have to try this theory out one day.
My mom had some old framed pictures so we removed the pictures and matting - I washed and dried the glass and then we were ready to go. Notice I said glass. Yep, that's right... we did our chalkboard directly onto glass. No primer used and no glass sanded. Have I captured your interest?
 Spray back and forth, back and forth.
The spray paint can said you only had to do 2 coats - we did 3.
The paint dried very quickly which surprised me. I didn't think I would be able to take my chalkboard home. (I later read online it only takes 15 minutes per coat to dry and 3 hours to fully dry with 2 coats on.) The directions said to wait a full 24 hours prior to using the chalkboard. So I patiently waited. I went and bought chalk yesterday and now I am good to go. Speaking of chalk - it is much harder to find then I thought it would be. Let me take that back - I should say it is hard to find non-sidewalk chalk. I ended up buying skinny side-walk chalk. Not exactly what I wanted, but I think it will work.
On a side note, if you are in the market for chalk I found sidewalk chalk at the Dollar Tree (the fat sticks) and a whole section at Meijer (all sorts of colors and sizes).
Now that I have my chalk (it says to only use calcium carbonate - not sure what I have), I did as the directions on the spray can said to do - I laid a piece of chalk on its side and colored the entire surface. Then I wiped it off. I'm not sure why I had to do this step, but I figured I might as well do everything correctly.
 I was going to use the mini paint roller as an eraser but it did not work as well as I thought it would. I ended up using a washcloth. It didn't do the job good enough so I applied a few drops of water to it and then it worked like magic!
I have decided the kitchen is the best place for mine at the moment. I plan on using it for notes and my dinner menu. I'll have room for it once I remove all my Easter decorations.
I want an even larger one so I can write out my dinner menu. How fun right? I wish I had a spot on the wall to hang it - that's okay though. I will go to the Dollar Tree this weekend and buy it an easel to rest on. When I have my house I'll be sure to make room for it.
Who ever thought of chalk board in a can is a genius!


2 comments:

  1. Looks good honey! But what's up with my alien looking hand??

    ReplyDelete