Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bunnies Taste Better In Chocolate

Last weekend when my mom and I went thrift shopping I knew I wanted to find a 'Easter' bunny to paint. I had seen on a few blogs how people were finding them really cheap and then painting them white. Yes, that is a good idea, but I thought I could do better than that. I wanted them to look like candy!

Here are my steps to having your very own chocolate bunny:


Step 1 - Find an inexpensive bunny you are willing to paint.
I found a cute bunny for $0.25. I knew this was a good deal and that his shaped was defined well enough that I would not have to have any other colors except brown on him. Plus, if I messed up I wouldn't be mad about wasting money. I myself would not pay more than a dollar for my bunny.

Step 2 - Remove all stickers and gunk.
I used Goo B Gone which worked really well. And let me tell you - this poor little bunny had all sorts of sticker gunk on him. He must have been for sale for a long time. So sad he couldn't find himself a good home. :(

Step 3 - Prime bunny.
I gave my bunny 2 coats of primer since his surface was shiny and my first coat didn't fully cover him.
This is the first picture you will see of my bunny. Sorry I didn't take a picture of him before priming him. I am a slacker. Just know I wasn't very sure if the paint would adhere to him without using primer. Bubbly paint is NOT the look you want!

Step 4 - Spray paint 2 coats (or 5) of desired color.
I choose a chocolate brown color which is actually called leather brown and is a gloss. I wanted an espresso color but feel this color worked out even better. I wanted my bunny to be good enough to eat - to the point where your mouth watered.
Did I accomplish that look?
I hope so!
Maybe I can trick someone into thinking it is real.
I want another one or two so I can group them together next Easter. I'm sure I'll accomplish this by next year. If not I suppose I can always use a real chocolate bunny - although he might be missing an ear.

Side note:
I had issues with my spray paint. To be honest I should say I myself had issues. I ended up doing 4 or 5 coats of paint. My first 2 didn't fully paint the bottom of my bunny so I turned him over and painted the bottom. While he was drying on his side upside down he stuck to the card board which meant I had to do another coat on top. Poor guy had cardboard 'lint' on him. Made him NOT look good enough to eat! After the third coat he looked a little uneven and I felt he needed one more coat. Then I thought he was done. I was wrong. The tip of one of his ears still showed white. I think if you know how to properly use spray paint you can get this done in a lot less coats then I did.

Step 5 - Find the best spot for your chocolate bunny.

I took a bunch of pictures of the final outcome - notice the difference in his coloring depending on whether or not I used the flash.



2 comments: